Friday, September 7, 2012

More Fantasy World Maps

I'm somewhat familiar with Faerun/Forgotten Realms thanks to the volumes of players guides I've amassed. Or at least I'm about as familiar as one can be for never actually gaming...I'm starting to think I must remedy that. While Ed Greenwood's world is great, it does have its flaws (if you care, ask a geek). I can easily ignore some geographical abnormalities as long as the story doesn't suffer for it. My issue with Faerun is that it has a really complex history, which is very understandable considering the run of its development. I like that though. Bring it on! Lots of history and mythos - my bread and butter.

Other gamers seem to like Eberron, but I know next to nothing about it. If I spent all my time and money buying up established world resources, my own fiddlings would suffer, and that I cannot abide.

Whatever your tastes are, you can't argue with the overall fantasticity and astoundingness of these maps

Eberron World Map

Khorvaire World Map

Detailed Khorvaire Map



3 comments:

  1. Eberron was the winner of the D&D "new setting contest" 10 years ago. I've always harbored a healthy dislike for the setting; not only because I dislike the "steampunk but with magic" concept, but also because Eberron is an "everything and the kitchen sink" setting - if it can be done with D6D, it's in Eberron.

    The best D&D settings, IMO, are still Graybox Forgotten Realms (before the Time of Troubles), Planescape, and perhaps Greyhawk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i care, im asking a geek... :)

    my fave D&D worlds were and always will be athas (dark sun) and sigil (planescape) and the latter has really interesting scope for maps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A topographical problem is how mountains appear anywhere and everywhere just because someone felt like it :) Another problem is that forests and jungles follow the same pattern of randomness. Anyway, you only get that sense when staring at the map on the wall/floor/tabletop - the stories themselves don't suffer. Therefore, I can live with it. Who am I to criticize Ed Greenwood...ya know, published author and all

      Delete